This course is conducted online, however, you will need to attend a pre-scheduled Tasting Day and take the exam in person in Dallas, TX. There are no online exam options.
We also offer a series of additional online study and review meetings with Dilek Caner, Master of Wine. This optional series focuses mostly on the analytical approach required in answering the short-essay format questions and partly on the best practices in the tasting exam portion of the Level 3 Exam. Currently, we offer these only for the students who are registered in a WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Course with Dallas Wine Center. For more information, please visit: Online Review and Practice Meetings with Dilek Caner MW.
You can find the course dates and the registration form for the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Course and Examination at the bottom of this page.
Topics covered in the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines and Spirits Online Course
- Week 1: Factors influencing Style, Quality and Price
Consider the key factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine from vineyard to bottling.
- Week 2: Tasting technique
Learn to taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting. Includes a tasting day which is arranged by Dallas Wine Center.
- Weeks 3-5: The influences affecting the wines of Europe
Learn about the key influences and how they produce the resulting wine styles in the key wine regions and districts of Europe.
- Weeks 6-7: The influences affecting the wines of the New World
Learn about the key influences and how they produce the resulting wine styles in the key wine regions and districts as well as the key regional grape variety specialties of the New World.
- Week 8: Sparkling wines, Fortified wines
Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of sparkling wines from the key wine producing countries.
Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of fortified wines from the key wine producing countries.
- Week 9: Revision
Revision & Examination Preparation.
How the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Course is conducted
- The course itself is conducted online, however you attend a Tasting Day and take your exam in-person in Dallas, TX.
- It is a 9-week structured online learning program. You can communicate with your instructor and classmates on an online platform during this 9-week window. Even after your course end date, you can access the course material for 1 year from your date of registration.
- You can contact your online educator at any time during your scheduled course dates using the online platform.
- The course modules should be followed in order, but you are free to complete the modules at your own pace. There are no set times to log into the course.
- During the course, you participate in student activities including weekly tasks, group tasting area, multiple choice feedback tests and videos. Each week includes a series of independent and/or group activities to guide you through the key wine regions of the world, looking at the factors in the vineyard and winery that influence wine styles.
- You will be advised to buy and taste a range of wines on your own. You can can post your tasting notes in the Online Classroom for review by the educator during your scheduled 9-week course.
When you register for the course, you will also be scheduled for a Tasting Day indicated on your registration form. Your Tasting Day will be conducted before you take your exam.
During the Tasting Day, Level 3 tasting technique will be reviewed with accompanying wines and tasting notes.
Recommended study time for the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Course
Plan to spend 10 hours per week to study, cover the online activities and read the relevant chapters in the textbook.
How and when you take the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Exam
- You take your WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Exam in person in Dallas, TX. There are no online exam options.
- When you fill out the registration form (see below) for the course, you will be able to choose your set of course, tasting and exam dates.
- Your exam will take place at the indicated date and time at an exam venue in Dallas, TX and the address will be communicated to you approximately 2 weeks before your scheduled exam date.
- You are expected to arrive at the exam venue on the scheduled date and time with your photo ID, two pencils and an eraser.
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines and Spirits Exam contains a theory and a tasting part. You must pass both parts to receive the WSET Level 3 Award Certificate.
- Tasting Exam: a blind tasting of 2 wines to be completed in 30 minutes. The passing score to pass the tasting exam is 55%.
- Theory Exam: 50 multiple choice questions and 4 short written answer questions to be completed in 2 hours. You must obtain a score of 55% on each part to receive a pass for the Theory Exam.
- The whole exam process for WSET Level 3 Award in Wines takes approximately 3 hours, including the exam instructions.
- You will receive your exam result via email approximately 10 weeks after your exam date. Receiving your certificate may take one or two additional weeks since the certificates are first sent from London to Dallas for us to mail them to your individual address.
The cost of WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Course and Exam
The course fee of $970 includes:
- online tuition including interaction with instructors and classmates during your scheduled 9-week course
- online course access for 1 year from the date you receive your login credentials
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines study pack
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Tasting Day wines and tuition
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Exam
- $20 shipping fee to send you your study materials
Wine is not provided in the online course other than the wines included in the curriculum for the Tasting Day.
How to register for the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Course and Exam
- You must be at least 18 years of age by the time of your course start date.
- Fill in the form below where you will be prompted to select your course, tasting day and exam dates. WSET London requires us to send in all student details at least 10 business days before the start of the course date. Please register at least 12 business days in advance of your course start date so that we have enough time to transfer your details to the London office. (If you are late to register for the course, email email@example.com with your request. We will need to get permission from WSET’s London office to accommodate you but it may be possible.)
- Within 5 days of your registration on our website, you will receive an email from us with your online access information for the course.
- You will have access to the course material for 1 year after your registration, however you can communicate with your instructor only during your course dates, and the course materials will become read-only after your course end date.