This course is conducted online. You can take your exam on one of the advertised dates below, in-person in Dallas at no additional cost. WSET also offers the online exam option for Levels 1 and 2 at a supplement cost of $35.
You can find the course dates and the registration form for the WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits Online Course and Examination at the bottom of this page.
Topics covered in WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits Course
- Production of Spirits
- Brandy and Vodka
- Rum, Tequila and Whisk(e)y
- Flavored Spirits, Storage & Service of Spirits
- Tasting of Spirits, using WSET’s Systematic Approach
- Revision and Resources
How the WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits Online Course is conducted
- The course itself is conducted online. You can choose to take your exam in-person in Dallas, TX at no additional cost, or online at an additional cost of $35.
- The online portion of the course takes 4 weeks and you can login at any time during these 4 weeks to communicate with your instructor and classmates. You can access the course material for 1 year from your date of registration even after your 4-week course ends.
- The course modules should be followed in order, but you are free to complete the modules at your own pace.
- Course activities include weekly tasks, group tasting area, multiple choice feedback tests and videos. Each week includes a series of independent and/or group activities.
- You will be advised but not required to buy and taste certain spirits on your own.
How and when you take the WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits Exam
- You can take your WSET Level 1 Award Exam in person in Dallas, TX. There is also an online exam option at an additional cost of $35.
- When you go to the registration page (see below), you can select your exam date along with your course dates. Your chosen exam date must be later than your course end date.
- Your exam will take place at the indicated date and time at an exam venue in Dallas, TX and the address will be communicated to you approximately 2 weeks before your scheduled exam date.
- You are expected to arrive at the exam venue on the scheduled date and time with your photo ID, two pencils and an eraser.
- WSET Level 1 Award Exam contains 30 multiple choice questions to be completed in 45 minutes. The passing score required to receive the WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits Certificate is 70%.
- The exam takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes, including the exam instructions and the 45-minute multiple-choice test.
- You will receive your exam result via email approximately 3 weeks after your exam date. Receiving your certificate may take one or two additional weeks since the certificates are first sent from London to Dallas for us to mail them to your individual address.
The cost of WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits Online Course and Exam
The course fee of $215 includes:
- online course access for 1 year from the date you receive your login credentials
- WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits study booklet (online)
- WSET Level 1 Award Exam
How to register for the WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits Online Course and Exam
- You must be at least 18 years of age by the time of your course start date.
- Click the button below and follow the instructions to select your course and exam dates. Please register at least 12 business days in advance of your chosen course start date so that we have enough time to transfer your details to the London office.
- Within 5 days of your registration on our website, you will receive an email from us with your online access information for the course.
- You will have access to the course material for 1 year after your registration, however you can communicate with your instructor only during your course dates, and the course materials will become read-only after your course end date.