This page shows the hybrid version of the WSET Level 3 Wine Course. The classes are held online. The tutored tastings, review sessions and the exam are conducted in-person in Dallas, TX. Please note that WSET does not conduct any online exams.
We also offer the following options for WSET Level 3 Award in Wines:
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Course: Take the course online and join a tutored tasting followed by the exam in Dallas.
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Course (In-Class Version): Take the course at a DFW location with live lectures and tastings.
Below are all the details of the hybrid version of the course. If you’d like to skip to the course dates and the registration form for the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Hybrid Course and Examination, please scroll to the bottom of this page.
How the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Hybrid Course is conducted
- The course itself is conducted online. There are also 6 weekly in-class sessions of tutored tastings and reviews in Dallas, TX. For the tastings, each student brings a bottle of wine around a pre-set theme for that day’s tasting.
- The online portion is a 9-week structured online learning program. You can communicate with your instructor and classmates on an online platform during this 9-week window. Even after your course’s end date, you can access the course material for 1 year from your date of registration.
- You can contact your online educator at any time during your scheduled course dates using the online platform.
- The course modules should be followed in order, but you are free to complete the modules at your own pace. There are no set times to log into the course.
- During the course, you participate in student activities including weekly tasks, group tasting area, multiple choice feedback tests and videos. Each week includes a series of independent and/or group activities to guide you through the key wine regions of the world, looking at the factors in the vineyard and winery that influence wine styles.
- You will be advised to buy and taste a range of wines on your own. You can can post your tasting notes in the Online Classroom for review by the educator during your scheduled 9-week course. Since we have the weekly tastings in this hybrid version to accompany the online sessions, you will find that the number of wines you need to buy for your tasting practice will be significantly small, if any.
Topics covered in the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Session of the Hybrid Course
- Week 1: Factors influencing Style, Quality and Price
Consider the key factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine from vineyard to bottling.
- Week 2: Tasting technique
Learn to taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting.
- Weeks 3-5: The influences affecting the wines of Europe
Learn about the key influences and how they produce the resulting wine styles in the key wine regions and districts of Europe.
- Weeks 6-7: The influences affecting the wines of the New World
Learn about the key influences and how they produce the resulting wine styles in the key wine regions and districts as well as the key regional grape variety specialties of the New World.
- Week 8: Sparkling wines, Fortified wines
Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of sparkling wines from the key wine producing countries.
Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of fortified wines from the key wine producing countries.
- Week 9: Revision
Revision & Examination Preparation.
Recommended study time for the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Hybrid Course
Plan to spend 10 hours per week to study, cover the online activities and read the relevant chapters in the textbook.
How and when you take the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Exam
- You take your WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Exam in person in Dallas, TX. There are no online exam options.
- When you fill out the registration form (see below) for the course, you will be able to choose your set of course and exam dates.
- Your exam will take place at the indicated date and time at an exam venue in Dallas, TX and the address will be communicated to you approximately 2 weeks before your scheduled exam date.
- You are expected to arrive at the exam venue on the scheduled date and time with your photo ID, two pencils and an eraser.
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines and Spirits Exam contains a theory and a tasting part. You must pass both parts to receive the WSET Level 3 Award Certificate.
- Tasting Exam: a blind tasting of 2 wines to be completed in 30 minutes. The passing score to pass the tasting exam is 55%.
- Theory Exam: 50 multiple choice questions and 4 short written answer questions to be completed in 2 hours. You must obtain a score of 55% on each part to receive a pass for the Theory Exam.
- The whole exam process for WSET Level 3 Award in Wines takes approximately 3 hours, including the exam instructions.
- You will receive your exam result via email approximately 10 weeks after your exam date. Receiving your certificate may take one or two additional weeks since the certificates are first sent from London to Dallas for us to mail them to your individual address.
The cost of WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Hybrid Course and Exam
The course fee of $1,150 includes:
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online course access for 1 year from the date you receive your login credentials
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines study pack
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Exam
- 6 weekly sessions of tutored tastings on the set of dates you choose in the registration form.
- $20 shipping fee to send you your study materials
How to register for the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Hybrid Course and Exam
- You must be at least 18 years of age by the time of your course start date.
- Fill in the form below where you will also be prompted to select your course and exam dates. WSET London requires us to send in all student details at least 6 business days before the start of the course date. Please register at least 7 business days in advance of your course start date so that we have enough time to transfer your details to the London office.
- Within 5 days of your registration on our website, you will receive an email from WSET’s London office with your online access information for the course.
- You will have access to the course material for 1 year after your registration, however you can communicate with your instructor only during your course dates, and the course materials will become read-only after your course end date.